NFL Jersey Fan Paradise

The place for Jersey heads to share their passion for collecting.

Home pageHome page  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  How to spot a FakeHow to spot a Fake  eBay sellers listseBay sellers lists  RegisterRegister  Log in  
***AVOID BUYING FROM EBAY SELLER JOOLI15***

Share | 

LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cb1

PostSubject: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Thu Aug 11 2011, 20:42

Hey guys,

I have a Jersey, it's in a box right now (hence no photos for the moment) and I was wondering if I could find any information about it.

I was at a collectors show about 1983 or 1984. There was a guy selling jerseys and helmets. My guess was he was legit - but I was a teenager and really didn't care at the time.

Anyway - he had a LeeRoy Selmon jersey autographed white Tampa jersey. The unique thing about it was that it was a onesey. The back of the jersey has a long flap that comes underneath your legs and buttons underneath your belly button. I bought it - I thought it was cool. The logic to me was that the defense would do anything to keep offensive linemen from grabbing them so a tight jersey with no give would obviously be an advantage.

I'd wear it to high school and eventually the autograph wore off. That wasn't a big deal to me.

Anyhow - I can't find any information regarding the jersey type - the onesey type - so I thought I would ask here if anyone had any information. It's still a great jersey. He went into the hall which to me was even cooler. Even if I was from the midwest and was a STL Cardinal fan.

Can anyone shed any light on this type of jersey? That's all - thanks!
Back to top Go down
RJ3000
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Thu Aug 11 2011, 23:05

Hi, and welcome,

I'll caveat the following by saying that I don't really have an in depth knowledge of team-issued / gamer jerseys, so this is just based on my experience of what I'm come across. I'm sure some of the other members here will know much more about this than me, but here goes anyway:

Based on your description, it sounds like a team-issued jersey. It may or may not have been worn by Lee Roy (it probably would've been obvious if he'd worn it - stains, tear, rips, repairs etc.) but either way - assuming it is what I think it is - it would have been issued to the Buccs with the intention of being worn by him, which makes it a very cool item!

Given the era and cut of the jersey you've described, I'd expect it's 100% legit.

I know what you mean about the button-up flap. I've seen a couple of jerseys on eBay which match that description, and were both game worn. One was a Chargers and the other was a Buccs throwback. I can't for the life of me remember which players, but I believe the Buccs was made by Russell Athletic, and I seem to remember thinking it was from the early 90's. I reached the same conclusion as you - it would stop the opposition being able to get a hold of their jersey. I haven't seen any modern gamers like this, so can only assume that Reebok stopped this style (I can't imagine it was the most comfortable...) but you do notice the modern gamers are really tightly cut to achieve the same objective.

I'll try and find some examples of similar jerseys on eBay. As a Buccs fan, I'd be very interested to see the pics. You may not have even thought of selling it, but I'd imagine it's worth a lot more than you paid for it anyway!

Hope this helps,
Back to top Go down
cb1

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 02:17

I will dig it out in the coming weeks and post pictures - we are waiting on carpet for the basement - then I get to drag out all the goodies.

Agree with you on all counts. IF I remember - I think it was a Russell. (and if the box wasnt buried - I'd grab it now)...

Have another story unrelated to this jersey - but related to my Rams jersey. Was down in Atlanta for the Rams/Titans Superbowl. My buddy and I snuck in the NFL hotel each night and sat at the bar and chatted with all sorts of NFL players.

Was sitting there and saw Mike Alstott pass by (who the Rams beat the week earlier) and gave him a shout out. I asked him he'd mind signing my jersey even though it was a Rams jersey. He was happy too. Dude was a class act and I won't forget the memory.

Yeah - I don't think I'd sell the Selmon jersey - it's just too cool. Heck - anymore - you'd have to have a hologram and 12 letters of authenticity to prove it's the real deal! One day I would like to find a way for him to sign it again.
Back to top Go down
RJ3000
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 02:37

Gotta love the A train!

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

I'm still looking for an Alstott authentic - preferably Adidas from 2000/01. I picked up a Sapp authentic from the same era, which is one of my favourites.
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 10:03

cb the jersey sounds very cool. RJ is spot on, I expect it to be a team issued jersey, can't be anything else from that era. The flap is designed to stretch the jersey to a. Stop the jersey coming untucked, rules for tv, and b. To make it harder to grab onto. A Bucs jersey from that period would command some serious bucks too.

Get some pics up cb!!

NJFP Merchandise available at http://www.zazzle.co.uk/ukbillsfan
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfljerseyfanparadise.net
cb1

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 14:13

Hey Billsfan...

I will try to dig it out this weekend for you guys.

ALSO - The Rams jersey I mentioned above with Alstott also has Jim Kelly's signature on it.

What's up with Lee Evans?
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 16:14

cb1 wrote:
Hey Billsfan...

I will try to dig it out this weekend for you guys.

ALSO - The Rams jersey I mentioned above with Alstott also has Jim Kelly's signature on it.

What's up with Lee Evans?

Good man. Cool sigs on that Rams jersey.

Evans suffered the last few years with poor offensive lines, not protecting the QB's. Last year Johnson broke out because Fitzpatrick and him were throwing and catching in the 2nd offence and became used to each other.

I really don't want to see Lee go, he's been our best player for years and has 2 years left on his contract. Too much talk though and I hear the Cards and Ravens have shown interest. We would need to get substantial reward for him though.

Back to top Go down
cb1

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Fri Aug 12 2011, 21:08

Argh - I cant post a link or images for 7 days

Anyway - found a game worn onesey Selmon jersey online at American Memorabilia that went for $3000 in 2007. Try and google it and you can see the flap.

Mine is white - not game worn. But you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
cb1

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Mon Sep 05 2011, 03:44

Have not dug out jersey yet - but crushed to see LS passed away after stroke. RIP Mr. Selmon!
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Mon Sep 05 2011, 08:02

cb1 wrote:
Have not dug out jersey yet - but crushed to see LS passed away after stroke. RIP Mr. Selmon!

It is a terrible shame, he was too young only 56.

Back to top Go down
jackster608
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   Mon Sep 05 2011, 16:37

With the passing of LeeRoy Selmon, your jersey will be worth a lot of money. If I were you I would sell it, you may get even more than $3000 if it is a game worn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....   

Back to top Go down

LeeRoy Selmon Jersey....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1